Very few people can explain what people in public relations really do. A lot of people might think that Public relations is just a cute name for people who organize fancy campaigns for brands. These “PR experts” most times have no idea what Public Relations actually is about.
To succeed in the PR space, you have to be willing to ‘put your all’ into it. You must have a ‘proper understanding of the brand(s) you are managing’ and should always ‘think’ before you talk.
Public Relations is a “strategic communication process” that builds ‘mutually beneficial relationships between organizations and their publics’
To survive in PR, please note that “PR is a Persuasion Business”. It involves convincing an audience; inside your building or town and outside your usual sphere of influence, to promote your idea, purchase your product, support your position, or recognize your accomplishments.
Most people start out and eventually get sunk in the industry. But we have 5 unique tips to keep you thriving in the PR business;
- RESEARCH: This is the most important part of PR. You must perform a brand survey and audience survey to gauge the awareness and perceptions of your client and public attitudes towards it. It’s extremely important to conduct a research before launching a PR program. This will determine the strategies and tactics that will be used to run the PR campaign.
- UNDERSTAND THE AUDIENCE IS IN CHARGE OF CURRENT LANDSCAPE: Whatever campaign you want to push, understand that the target audience decides if the message is worth it or not. Understand who you are talking to, to enable the message to be sent out via the right medium.
If you understand this, you will always achieve PR Goals, therefore making clients happy.
- THE FOUNDATION OF PR IS MULTITASKING: The beauty and challenge of public relations is found in its broad nature of expectancies. One minute you may be designing a runway show, the next you might be media pitching to local news stations. You should Have the determination and tenacity to complete any task promptly, effectively and with a smile.
PS: Learn the skill of doing more than one thing at the same time and doing it efficiently, this will keep you in the PR business for a very long time.
- THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX: The only difference between you and the other PR guy is the idea you come up with for your clients. Do not limit your thoughts, always think out of the norm and think of breaking bounds. Try not to channel your thought towards some idea that has already been executed. Be unique and creative!
- THINK ON YOUR FEET: Multitasking is a huge part of PR. You should always think on your feet. Think out of the box, save the word with your thoughts, BUT do it as fast as you can. Think on your feet. Come up with the smartest ideas without delays. Because Time is very important in PR and cannot be wasted.
To survive and thrive in public relations, it takes Effort, Persistence and a Huge Drive.